Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

San Francisco

I'm at the end of a rather good day, which began at 5am (PACIFIC STANDARD TIME, d00ds!) with four straight cups of coffee consumed before 8am. I'm here in the San Francisco Bay Area for work.

Car Talk

So, on this trip I was rented a car, as distances (and traffic) are rather sizeable in the Bay Area, and taxi costs would be exorbitant. To be honest, I was less than thrilled. In the hours before a presentation or consultations, I prefer to spend time panicking over content and methodology of upcoming events, rather than directions to said events. That said, YEEEHAWW!!!!!

My car is S-W-A-N-K!!! Gorgeousness. So fancy, in fact, I wasted a good five minutes at the Hertz lot just staring at it and waiting for someone to tell me it was NOT mine to take, that I'd been given the wrong keys. I opened the car slowly, waiting for a guard to push me from it, bodyguard style. (Bodyguard style, like Kevin Costner to Whitney Houston.) But, I was not unceremoniously shoved side. I then spent several moments just trembling in it, wondering if I dared remove it--would it be considered theft if I took the car away? I jumped when I heard a honk nearby. Finally, I drove it off the lot, staring desperately at the guard who checked my papers, sure he would laugh and send me back in to pick up the hunk of junk that was ordained for me. But no....

So I learnt something interesting on this trip; something I wasn't expecting to learn.

You see, in days of yore, when I learnt to drive, it was in Florida. And I passed my exam with flying colours, mostly because one crucial question was not asked. I was faced with this question in San-Fran yesterday.

Which way does one turn the wheels of one's car when one parks on a steep incline?

In between meetings, I spent a good several hours wondering if my car was rolling down the hill. And if Hertz had realized yet that I was not posh enough for the car, and if the cops were already after me. And if it would be considered grand theft or vandalism when my car mashed into the bottom of the Bay.

I had, you see, glanced at the cars across the street to see what they were doing, but had converted the decision incorrectly. When I got out of the car, everyone on my side of the street had their wheels facing the opposite direction. Oh well. "Tra la" as -r2 would say. I survived, and so did the car.

And here I am in Hotel Heaven.

The Woodfin Suites Hotel ROCKs. They have free internet and printer access, a free LIBRARY (be still my fucking heart) of books to be borrowed, a FREE selection of DVDs and videos to be borrowed and watched in one's rooms (no limit), and a free Happy Hour from 5 to 7pm, in which drinks and snacks are served. AND on top of all that, my hotel room is larger than my apartment. *swoon* Plus I'm secretly in love with all of their reception people. They're fantabulous. *love* It's amazing sometimes the little tricks (so to speak) which secure my undying affection. They're having a conference here, and they had fruit out, and I made some sort of flippant joke which covered for my longing gaze at the food (being as how I am starving and was feeling somewhat ill)--and they gave me free fruit.

I mean, if this isn't love, what is? Right? Right??? Yes, right. *love*

~ moi

ps: -r2, it did rock. :)

If only I wasn't knackered. I've rented two DVDs, but will be surprised if I get through one tonight... I leave tomorrow am, back to the Big Fruit.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:32 am, Blogger World Traveler said…

    WOuldn't that be "borrowed" since they are free??

    SOunds divine. What kind of car was it?

    This is the best entry you have had in quite awhile. So fun! I can just see you peeling out inthe California sun in your hot rod trying to find the turn signal and laughing the entire way with NPR blaring.

     
  • At 10:36 am, Blogger ~R said…

    Ah, the KIA Amanti! Silver. Dashing. Sexy. Like an older man.

    ;-)

     
  • At 8:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I actually was once given the wrong car at a rental agency--in Oakland, in fact. I'd ordered the second-smallest car, only to arrive on the lot having been given the keys for this ENORMOUS Cadillac, which drove like a boat and appeared to have more electronic gadgets and computerized displays than the iBook I'm using to write this comment.

    Took me ten minutes to figure out how to work enough of the thingamajigs to drive the behemoth to the guard booth, when the guy looked from me (wearing sweats and with my hair in pigtails) to the car to the receipt. He seemed at a loss for words. Finally, he said, "Did you ask for an updgrade?" Then he gently explained that there had been some kind of mixup, and if I would please back slowly away from the expensive car, trying not to scratch it or get my greasy fingerprints on its pristine gold finish (possibly made of acctual gold), they would find a car more appropriate to my station in life, to say nothing of my budget. Apparently, the cadillac cost the same per day as my transcontinental plane ticket to get to it.

     
  • At 9:09 am, Blogger ~R said…

    Hahahahaha!!!!

    And for those less technologically developed than you, what is an iBook?

    *backing away slowly*

     
  • At 9:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, you know the Macintosh computer brand? One day, they invented a computer that was supposed to be more internet-friendly and user-friendly, and they named it the iMac ("i" = for "internet"). Then, they also made a laptop version of this, and that, my friend, is the iBook.

    Sincerely,
    r2
    Technological Wonder

     

Post a Comment

<< Home