Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Shelving Geography


Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Okay kids - I would ordinarily not trouble you with an update on a life in which little has been going on, but as some of my friends (I won't mention any names, so don't expect Shannon to be specifically pointed out in this regard) insist upon hearing the dreary details... In the name of collective punishment:

What You Too Would End Up Doing If You Did Not Have a TV

This weekend I enjoyed a new pleasure. Since I'd moved in to my apartment on April Fool's Day 2004 (laugh, mortals, but far too many of my recent anniversaries have had that date), I'd not taken much trouble to re-organize my bookshelf.

Yes, I had done the obvious of sorting my books as they always have been ordered - my favourite books all placed on my favourite shelf of my favourite bookcase. The Russia-related books on the overflowing second-favourite shelf. The Balkans-related books on the third-favourite overflowing shelf. The other books on the less favoured shelves. Except for the large books, which regardless of topic had the top shelves of two bookcases.

This delightful order had a subtle charm of disarray to my pleased mind, though, yet might ha' seemed a cacaphony to those who don't intrinsically know my favourite book titles, my favourite bookcase, and my favourite shelf.

How many people know to expect Roland Barthes' Mythologies on the same shelf as Alexander Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago, Samuel Becket's Waiting for Godot, and Maria Todorova's Imagining the Balkans? Not to mention the anti-capitalist Inventing Reality and the textbook on Film Theory. Whereas if one was looking for World Mythologies, it was on the other bookcase on the top shelf, apart from Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth, which stands on the bottom of the third bookcase.

Ergo, my life-change, my pivotal decision, my ... entire Monday night, Tuesday morning and Tuesday evening.

Dear readers, I married him.

Okay, that was a gratuitous Jane Austen quote. But what I did do, was decide to shelve my fiction by year of birth. That is to say, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales follow Plato and the Greeks, who in turn follow the Koran, which follows (wink) the Tanach (Jewish Bible). I have squished my teensy book of Revelations (from the New Testament) above these, as I am out of space in the Seriously Old part of the shelf. My only problem is that I have apparently collected quite a bit of fiction (who knew?), and am overflowing, and the books don't all fit (vertically) into the shelves. I have also discovered certain biases in my reading. Such as from the literature of the 1990s to present, I apparently read mostly East European literature and Harry Potter. I am now bridging my interests by reading through a gifted (spasibo!) Garry Potter i Filosofski Kamen' from a generous lady reader.

Okay, even I have a heart. You're free now to return to your regular programming. Incidentally, I admit that this was an odd idea. But do you know, until now, I didn't realize Jane Austen was 18th Century?? I thought she was 19th!!! Crikey! And Chaucer's pretty friggin' old. Makes me a'feared of where Beowulf fits in!

Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~ Heinrich Heine

The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man nothing else that he builds ever lasts monuments fall; nations perish; civilization grow old and die out; new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on. Still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts, of the hearts of men centuries dead. ~ Clarence Day

If I get more than two comments, one of which is Shannon begging me NEVER again to give in to her demands for an update... Why then you're shit out of luck; I'll be sharing EVER SINGLE DETAIL of my life.

Speaking of which I am seriously late in calling people back. HUGE APOLOGIES.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:51 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    Well shut my mouth..you live. In fact, you think..and you act. Congrats. As for this little topic, yes, mundane it may be but eye opening to the weirdness and the randomness that is you..it is why we, dear blogger, love you.

    I am fascinated by your system or lackthere of and your classification of what is fiction. The Koran as fiction? Hmmm...This leads me to reveal my book sorting system..separated by fiction/nonfiction and foreign/american authors. I would never think of copyrights. I also have subdivisions including African-American writers, a fantasy section and a big book spot. There is also a trash section where books that are of no literary value are kept. Patircia Cornwall and the like. I do not read them but a certain hubby does. Although I give him credit, he is plugging through Uncle Tom's cabin now that we have relinquished the tv through Lent--how very Amish of us. I am delving into the Age of Reason by Sartre..I keep waiting for a point but know that there will not be one. Although I do like the characterizations. It is a stream of consciousness thing I think but less annoying thatn Faulkner.

    Bravo Buffy for returning to Blobland...

     
  • At 1:40 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    I live. I think. I act.
    I feel rather Descartesy!

    Well. Good point.

    I thought about actually putting my fiction and non-fiction together, all of them chronological. But how crazy would that be? It would get rid of some artificial classifications, though. Can you sense I don't consider it TOO crazy? Does it frighten you as much as it does me? ;-)

    Oh, I must just note that it's not a copyright thing. I go with the first date of print. And not simply for the publisher. So the edition of Chaucer is not shelved under 1992 (or whatever), but as 13xx (or whatever).

    Whew. But my Cookbooks are remaining separate. Separate yet equal.

    Well, maybe not. Maybe lesser. :)

     
  • At 11:06 am, Blogger World Traveler said…

    Oh hell, cookbooks are an entirely separate room my friend..

     
  • At 11:53 am, Blogger Rob said…

    One of these days, I will actually get around to cataloging my books and you will certainly be sorry. I, for instance, have Karl Marx - Das Kapital sitting right next to the holy bible waiting to see if spontaneous combustion will be achieved. I think on the last reorganization project I threw something like the Karma Sutra in there as well. No need to keep the books happy, they are not living creatures!

    Still, this is a good quality update. A good blogger should be able to drone on senselessly about something as mundane as their daily commute and have it actually be interesting.

     
  • At 3:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am forced to call myself r2 so as not to seem to be impersonating you. No allusion to star wars intended, c3p0.

    Am moved to write not in response to your book-rearranging (which I think I have sufficiently mocked in person) but to the groucho marx quote, which I love more than life itself (was that over the top? am struggling for appropriate blog response tone, since this is my first ever blog comment).

    also apprecciated the gratuitious jane eyre reference...

     
  • At 10:36 am, Blogger ~R said…

    r2!!!!!

    Or, should I say, -r2??!!!!! It is most pleasing to see your bytes upon my screen. If that's what these words are. (words, words, words)

    Am pleased you enjoyed Groucho. Just wait until I fold together my fiction and nonfiction sections- the mocking that ensues might push you to virtually mock me, too!

     
  • At 10:22 am, Blogger ~R said…

    Dearest -r2, You're SO right. I was thinking about that the other day... Jane Austen didn't write in the first person! So... It's Jane Eyre I quoted? Is that Charlotte Bronte?

    Ah, alas.

    And where are the double dots when one needs them?

    (THAT is the question)

     
  • At 2:59 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    I am in agreement..that is why kazahstan didn't get read...ho-hum :)

    Try my treatise on the "Age of Reason" it is a real barnburner.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home