Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Why I Come To Work Early

(An update on my office flooding situation of last week)

So, I come into work today at 6:40am. I'm wondering if my office will be a) flooded, b) stinky, or c) fine. I smell a beauteous scent wafting through the corridors. I begin to worry that my office will be overwhelmingly beauteously scented, such that I will asphyxiate at my computer. I unlock the office door.

No worries about overwhelmingly beauteous odours, ladies and gents. The stench of the day before was back. This is after a carpet cleaning the day before, and with a whole night of three fans blasting on the carpet to dry it. As my two windows don't open (they're painted shut), the stench just lingers and festers and begins to seep into my neighboring officemate's offices.

Well, after I picked my semi-conscious self up from the doorway, I staggered over to the kitchen, where I blearily made myself some coffee and decided whose desk I would invade for the day.

Eventually my boss gets in. He says he doesn't smell anything at all. I lead him to my office and guide him to my chair. "What about there," I suggest. The world always seems bleaker from behind my desk, I figure. But no, he still smells nothing. Now I'm wondering if my symptoms are psychosomatic. He sniffs deeply. Shakes his head. Puts his coffee down. And then gets down onto the floor to sniff the carpet.

"Well," he cedes, "if you put your nose in the carpet then it smells."

I tell him I frequently work that way, and replace my would-be gales of laughter with a mild, teary grin. It's still too early in the morning to subject everyone to my humour and cheerfullness.

I return to the other wing of the office. A few minutes later, he admits that he smells it.

I continue with my work, tapping away at a colleague's computer. I hear the footfall of my boss, striding down the corridor.

"Do you know where the hammer is," he asks, "I want to open the window."

Now I'm one chuffed early-riser. I've never seen anyone open a window with a hammer, you know, leave alone the only person in the office who can't be fired for it.

I follow him back to my office. He's managed to grab a hammer and a box cutter. This is the most entertaining morning ever. I stand behind him and wonder how safe this is. I figure that my staring at the proceedings will protect him from some nasty accident.

Well, it doesn't work.

When I talk to maintenance about it, I get two surprises.

1. The maintenance guy admits that my office stinks like ****. He then volunteers to get carpet cleaners in here again, for the second time in two days. I collapse in shock.
2. The maintenance guy says opening the windows is a bad idea. Firstly, there are fumes in that part of the building (not a beauteous odour). Secondly, and I quote, "the windows don't work."

I hadn't realized windows could "work" or "not work." Other than the Gates version, naturally. Apparently these windows don't close once they're open.

I don't know anymore...

By the day's end, when the carpet cleaners had come again, the maintenance guy was here again. Mind you, this is the same guy I had to corrall into my office and forcefully jump on the splashing carpet for to convince that there was a real problem here outside of my head. He sniffed the air, which I was breathing in happily by the gallon, and announced that it smelled. He thinks we'll know for sure whose nose is right in the morning.

I expect he's right. In other words, expect an update in the morn!

See all these adventures you too could have if you came in to work at the crack of dawn? I leave you now, 12 hours of joy over. :)

17 Comments:

  • At 9:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who would have guessed that me, the one who hates writing in blogs, would be the first to respond to this entry!! I am so proud, and I have to say, I do love reading your blog. You should write a book. You can call it (for all you Alice Walker fans): Possessing the Secret of JOI.

     
  • At 9:39 am, Blogger ~R said…

    Yikes! And now let's not mention "real" places by name any more. :)

    I was thinking of calling my book "An Excitingly Stupid Adventure," but I'm afraid that I've not adventured in a while.

    I think of friggin' Eugene O'Neil and Faulkner and of how much less adventuring I've done than them. I musts needs to pick my arse up and adventure, methinks.

    Although I've also heard that Faulkner did some intelligence work for a spell, and I'm not interested in doing that.

    Well, and Eugene O'Neill had a truly rough life and had almost died by the time he hit 28, too. Well, and that he sailed about on ships, which I don't like.

    Huh.

    I sure sound lazy. :)

     
  • At 10:12 am, Blogger World Traveler said…

    I don't think you really do that stream of consciousness bit either.

    I think you have more of a John Irving quality plus a little political satire toosed in for good measure.

    i love when you are under deadline pressure at work..you write more often on the blog..murphy's law.

     
  • At 10:13 am, Blogger World Traveler said…

    PS: "good" JB, one might say that you are slowing being seduced by the blogging world. It happens to the best of us.

     
  • At 1:48 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    I hope The Good JB *does* get seduced by this new-fangled creature, the blog. She loves younger devices.

    And Shann, clearly I musts read John Irving! What do you recommend, oh wise woman?

    And whatever happened to Sartre?

     
  • At 2:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm. When did this happen? I used to be able to walk right by a blog without so much as a word being typed??? I USED TO HATE WRITING. In fact, I STILL HATE WRITING. How did I become seduced? What have I become? What have I become?

     
  • At 5:54 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    Welcome to the magical mystical world "chez Rutie"

    Sartre..I peetered out in the middle. It isn't summer reading (not that my current choice, John Adams, is either) I'll get back to it. Who am I kidding? I am just biding my time until Sat. when my HP VI arrives.

    As for Irving...hmm.. I warn you know that his books are like train wrecks. So much happening, so many odd characters and weird disasters with non-plausible story lines that you can't help but read along going.."I can't believe this. Toom any coincidences make this preposterous yet I love it! More More I must have more!"

    My favorite and a must read for you:
    A Widow for a Year

    Others that I have torn through (they are super long but you will get through them like John Grisham books on speed)

    The World According to Garp (his most famous)

    A Prayer for Owen Meaney.
    (a satire on religion I thought)

    And I read one called the Fifth (or sixth) Hand. Perhaps the oddest.

    He also did Cider House Rules, but I never read it. Perhaps his most normal??

     
  • At 6:20 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    I commend The Good JB on being seduced. It is the smartest thing she has done all year. Perhaps Wanderlust is her Albert! :) The blog's only a year old, after all... ;)

    And Shann... Um. It doesn't take Legilimency *ahem* to read between the lines and realize you think I write like a train-wreck.

    *giggle*

    Thank you. :)

    hee hee hee!!!

    (and thanks for the recommendations. Good to know I'm not the only one who couldn't finish Sartre...) ;)

     
  • At 7:27 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    again read a hair to much into that one...I just meant the novels can be..um..oh, I don't know..read one and get back to me.

     
  • At 11:48 am, Blogger ~R said…

    Thought you might want to know that another man is hammering my window right now.

    Many grunts and oaths to be heard from my office. More action, in a word, than it's seen in quite a while.

    :)

     
  • At 12:33 pm, Blogger -r said…

    You know what this suddenly reminds me of? When the Weasley twins made that magical swamp that no one could get rid of. Yes, with the impending approach of the new HP book, my Harry Potter geekdom knows no bounds...

     
  • At 1:16 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    You think that's bad?

    I suddenly got the urge to say: "Evanesco!" Is that even a spell?

    And the sad thing is, my mind supplies another option that I feel fairly certain cleans things: "Scourgify!"

    Oy!!!! :)

     
  • At 2:23 pm, Blogger -r said…

    Sadly, I am able to report that both of those are bona fide spells. Lissen, speaking of flooding, I haer it's supposed to rain all weekend. We may have to implement the rain plan (slash make a rain plan).

     
  • At 2:51 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    Potential Rain Plans:

    1. Public Library
    Pro: pretty
    Con: no food
    Question: are there cushy chairs?

    2. Cafe
    Pro: COFFEE, talking aloud
    Con:
    Question: do you know one in the hood?

    *disapparating*

     
  • At 2:52 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    *blush*

    I mean, of course:

    "talking ALLOWED."

    Heh. :)

     
  • At 2:52 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    (SILENCIO!)

     
  • At 8:32 am, Blogger World Traveler said…

    No contest...you win.

    Dorkus Patronus!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home