Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Friday, August 04, 2006

An Interesting Glimpse into Another World

This afternoon, I got a rather memorable phone call at work from a man interested in turning me on to Chabad, a very religious, orthodox subset of Judaism.

It was an amusing and interesting conversation. He was an amiable conversationalist, and although we disagree and I somewhat paraphrase our conversation below (he spoke a lot) to bring out the humor, I did enjoy the call, and it all was friendly and tongue-in-cheek for me.

Operation Interest Ruth in Chabad

Caller: Chabad Lubavitch is the most liberal of the Orthodox groups, you know.

Ruth: Hm. How interesting!

Caller: Judaism is based on the law, on the Truth. The great thing about Orthodoxy is that wherever you go, it's the same. It's like McDonalds that way.

Ruth: But without cheeseburgers.

Caller: Yes, without cheeseburgers.

Ruth: But if Chabad Lubavitch is the most liberal of the Orthodox groups, then it follows that Orthodoxy is not all the same.

***

Caller: Aren't you proud that both of your parents are Jewish?

Ruth: [pause] I'm proud of both of my parents as people.

Caller: [pause]

***

Caller: But what makes Judaism unique is that it's the Truth.

Ruth: I believe that Chabad Judaism is a true way of being Jewish. I also believe that other forms of exploring religion and spirituality are the truth. I don't believe in one truth. That concept turns me off. It's like the concept of having to go through Christ to reach God.

Caller: [unknown spluttered prayer] Why do you bring that up?!

***

Caller: Through mitzvot (good deeds) we bring holiness down.

Ruth: Is that the point in Chabad of doing good deeds?

Caller: Yes. God created us to have a home among us, that we should build holiness and the Messiah should come.

***

Caller: What do you believe is the difference between a Jew and a non-Jew?

Ruth: It depends on the Jew and the non-Jew.

***

Caller: Would you like to meet for coffee, maybe, sometime? At Starbucks?

Ruth: Don't get me wrong. I find Chabad very interesting. However, I also find it...

Caller: Even more interesting?

Ruth: (pause) Alien. And I would not join Chabad. It is not for me.

Caller: Well, then we can just meet and have a coffee.

Ruth: Let me be frank. You are not going to convert me.

Caller: Oh heavens no! You're Jewish, anyway! I couldn't convert you.

Ruth: You want to convert my practice and my belief.

Caller: What makes you think that??

Ruth: You talk more than you listen.

Caller: You've asked me questions. I would very much like to just be friends.

Ruth: I don't generally make a practice of making friends with people whose sole purpose in befriending me is to change me.

Caller: Well, maybe we can talk on the phone sometime.

Ruth: That would be lovely.

Caller: And you know, sometimes my wife and I have people over for Shabbos dinner. And people who aren't religious come...you might meet a nice young man!

Ruth: Laughs.

***

So, you can see his persistence. I have to say, I admire his ability to keep trying to welcome me in despite my candor. He was more interested in expounding his philosophy than having a discussion, of course, and the one-liners on my side were more a matter of need than of any usual brevity of speech (as anyone who knows me is aware).

I have no ill-will toward him, although there are definitely major points of disagreement that I have with his philosophies, of course. As I do with the orthodoxies within all the three religions of the Book, so to speak.

One thing he said gave me pause. I'm used to thinking of myself as "the Other" in the eyes of the Chabad and ultra-Orthodox. Usually, I imagine that they see me either as a wayward Jew or as undistinguishable from the general population (Christian).

But he had found my name through a newspaper article about a workshop I'd done on some recent research by my organization. He said that he found it interesting to read about the work of Jewish professionals outside the Orthodox world, who were looking into why Jews are not connected to synagogues and Jewish life, nor committed to marrying other Jews.

Can I explain why I find that interesting? I don't know. I guess because it's the closest to possible (?) validation that Jews of all stripes are Jews, and that you don't have to be like them to be an important and functioning part of the whole. Of course, maybe that's not what he meant. I guess I was just surprised that our work isn't completely ignored and considered irrelevant to them.

Which brings me to the realization that I have no idea what "they" think at all. That I am working on assumptions. I would like to talk about that with the Chabad guy. But would he talk about it with me, or would he be too heavy in convert-Ruth-to-Chabad-ways thoughts to really exchange opinions on that matter?

Maybe there's only one way of knowing. Let's see if he calls.

There's a Jewish philosophy which I understand Chabad keeps: "If you save one person, it is as if you had saved the world." Of course, they would view that as redemption or inclusion in helping to "bring holiness down" to earth. I wonder if he'll continue his efforts to save the world by "saving" me.

Time will tell. :)

3 Comments:

  • At 2:32 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    It is interesting to hear about this "conversion" element in Judaism. I thought it was mainly a Christian thing. Good to know there is pressure in all walks of life.

    Of course, from what you have said it seems to be a different sort of pressure within Judaism. Pressure to be "more Jewish??" Making it seems more like a cultural issue rather than a spiritual one.

    Can one be "more Catholic?" I suppose there are many orthodox Catholics (the "Crazy Catholics" to us lay parishionners--I like the aliteration.) out there that would say "No! if you are Catholic you must be this way, think this way, accept all canon law and church dogma and never shall you stray." They do not believe in "grocery store" Catholic--picking and choosing the doctrines you like and leaving behind those you don't. But I just don't life or religion is that simple because people aren't that simple. They crave for deeper meaning and bigger pictures. Not to advocate free for all but I truly believe that "self" should be in check not because some pope ages ago deemed it be or even if God deemed it be, but to glorify God through selflessness...to act out of a want, rather than a must. This lesson of course is difficult to master at any age.

    Anyway, I think I digressed but I liked this post and I think you should continue your dialogue and see where it leads you...not to Chabad (which is a not a nice sounding name to us Book People: chapter 2) but to a depper understanding of self and faith and honestly isn't that the point anyway???

     
  • At 2:35 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    I usually "pride Judaism" in not being a proselytizing religion...

    Chabad tries to engage Jews in doing mitzvot (good deeds), so that the Messiah will come. In their belief, God created the world so that it would be his home. We need to be worthy of that. From what I understand.

    But either way, it's not a cultural thing for them. It's a holistic whole, but they would argue that you cannot and must not separate religion from "being Jewish."

    Well, enough "thems" and "uses" for now. :)

    Is there talk in the Catholic community of there being a "grocery store" Catholic? In the US, the Jewish community is starting to look at contemporary Jews as having a "buffet Judaism"--picking and choosing, not from amongst doctrines, but ways of life. Ie: being kosher, keeping shabbat, supporting Israel, going to Jewish-themed movies, eating lox & bagels... etc.

    I'm reading about Iran right now...although I should be reading about Poland. *sigh*

     
  • At 4:45 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    why Poland?

    Yes, I think the term is "grocery" or something like that. They say you can't be Catholic and pro-contraception or pro-choice. Basically, they blackmail you into a voting block which is frustrating. What they should do is encourage a new political party that truly reflects Catholic values and then we could all vote that way instead of having to decide on serious issues. Case in point, Republicans usually support the death penalty (against Catholic catechism) but Democrats support abortion usually (this too is against Catholic catechism.0

    How is a Catholic to vote? You are damned if you do and damned if you don't....

    Judaism sounds too deep for me. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home