Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

One Year Later

So, it's October 31st, and I'm in my office behind my closed door, scrambling to get an entire curriculum edited in time for a deadline tomorrow. I'm in a tight battle with my computer, my editor and time, and suddenly someone starts banging on the doors.

I wince. I know it can only be Denyse or Paul. Only they know they can get away with such behavior. :)

I don't even have the time to grind out a "come in" before a man in period dress enters. I'm not sure. It's some sort of colonial garb, with a white wig, hat, tall boots, ruffle collar and of course, the ubiquitous sword.

I look at him. I recognize him. I stare at his face. But I can't figure out who he is. I stare. I stare and stare.

"MAN!" he moans and walks out. I hear him jokingly complaining that New Yorkers are so jaded, they don't respond to costumes any more.

I ponder his identity. And then I realize it's Paul. Whom I work with day after day, and have for the past 3.5 years.

He's shaved his beard.

It makes such a difference.

To think, had he kept his beard, I would have commented (or even noticed!!) that he was dressed out of another century. But without his beard, I could only fixate on his eyes and his stubble and wonder who the hell he was!

And so another Halloween passes with my ignorance. Not unlike the last time. :)

Oh, Paul, on the phone:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

10 Comments:

  • At 6:43 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    Is it wrong to think he looks hot in that costume???

    Maybe it is just the hormones.

     
  • At 12:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, it's not wrong. I'm just genuinely hot. Colonial garb or otherwise. You should see me as a flight attendant!

     
  • At 3:05 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    *snicker*

    He frequently dresses up as a harried but creative senior executive type, too.

     
  • At 5:49 pm, Blogger Cornflake Girl said…

    Hehe, seems like a very 'fun' office environment! I mean, trolls, even Nelson run riot there!

    Nelson, you can come and answer my telephone any time ;)

     
  • At 8:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Frequently when having a bad day, I take a moment to open up R's blog to see if it has been updated. I usually read the latest entry, chuckle, and end up leaving the web with a smile...but when I read this entry and then the comments, I literally laughed out loud!

    If I had been drinking wine, I would have snorted it through my nose, much like a certain friend of mine did last night when she realized how she looked drinking her last sip...leaving the restaurant, deciding "Hey, I want one more sip of my wine" and leaning over the roped-off section that she had just left, putting her OUTSIDE the restaurant...To her, this not so sublte lean-over-the-rope (yes, the rope that tells most people "You are NO LONGER IN the restaurant") seemed normal, but to the passer-by, especially the woman who turned to stare at her as she did this, she seemed like a crazy drunk wino drinking from someone else's half empty glass. The look on the passer-by's face was priceless, almost as good as the look on my friend's face when she realized the wine was coming out her nose :)

     
  • At 10:37 am, Blogger World Traveler said…

    Flight attendant?? That would just push a new mother over the edge of fantasty and decorum :)

     
  • At 4:12 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    *backs away from her own blog with wide eyes, hands raised, innocent*

    :)

     
  • At 4:13 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    Oh, Shann, if you click on "paul" there, you'll see a picture that looks the way he does "out of costume." This picture (taken on his wedding day) replaces an older "Indiana Jones" look. So I guess Paul is rather versatile in his office appearance.

    ;)

     
  • At 7:33 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    I believe I have met Paul in person on some visit to NYC. I like the clean shaven, GW look.

    And I must admit I couldn't help but peek at your bio...nice photo and use of the word "hone" Nice GW drop too..ahem....don't you think you need to put the work "affiliation" in there somewhere though??

     
  • At 2:43 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    I believe the word I left out was "intelliHentsia" :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home