Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Second-Hand Smoke Can Kill!!!

I'm reading "Russia's War" right now. It's fascinating, gripping, depressing, horrifying and educational. But there's one snippet which tickles me, and which I thought I'd share...

Apparently, although the Russians were out-gunned and out-strategied, and taken by surprise, they had an advantage in being accustomed to the terrain (during the winter) and in being able to "disappear" into it, such that the German troops could be ambushed accordingly. So, what the Germans took to doing, was placing their non-smoking officers in the front-line, where they could detect the scent of their opponents--cigarettes, sweat and cheap perfume (to fight insects).

Talk about second-hand smoke killing!

Which forces me to put up this image as an aside... From that Engrish site.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home