Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Monday, November 21, 2005

On this block...

On Coffee & Friendly Observations

Before 8:30am, I'd already had my first meeting of the day.

Having managed to shatter my beloved and reliable coffee maker in the bathroom last week, I hastened to Starbucks to buy a shot of Elixir of Life. Well, they call it expresso. But you know what I think of American coffee-makers.

I was sharing these and similar thoughts with my dear friend -r2--by phone, by the way, as this fair damsel hasn't even DRESSED yet by 8:30am. Beastly luxury. At any rate, I was unburdening my soul to this dear friend, when she wryly notes that at least I haven't lost my "scorn and superiority complex regarding American coffee" first thing in the am. I must be guilty as charged, for the comment did not ruffle my feathers as much as it puffed them up. Zoikes! However, one might say instead that AMERICAN COFFEE is guilty as charged. Like I say. Of being ridiculous. Weak. Without character or stamina. Without sensuality. Far too overstated. I mean seriously, Starbucks uses Italian words to describe the size of the cup--yet another piece of evidence that they misunderstand the value of Italian coffee to be in quantity, rather than in quality.

Italian coffee doesn't need fancy falutin' language to let you know its perfection. A cappuccino is a cappuccino. An expresso is an expresso. End of story.

So, back to my tale of woe.

I needed caffeine, I won't lie to you. I decided an expresso would do the trick. But would a Starbucks expresso? So, I considered getting a double expresso, instead... By the time I got to the front of the line, I had decided to order two double expressos.

Get this.

They call it Quad Expresso.

Doesn't that just SCREAM "our coffee isn't strong enough"????? Why yes, gentle reader, it does.

I bought a quad. *snort*

Ask Not For Whom the Dell Tolls...

My computer is also kaput. I get a call from the computer repair guy. He asks me to read the service tag from the hard-drive. I read the series of numbers and letters. He reads them back, but mishears one letter. I help out:

He says: "So that's 'D' as in Dell?"

I say: "No, it's 'B' as in Bell."

Ahem. The last digit of the series was a '1'. In reading it out, I say: "That's '1' as in 'you one-t some of this?'"

Hm. Maybe the caffeine is working. A bit. Although for a QUADRUPLE expresso, I'm not that impressed. Grr. But that must be my innate "scorn and superiority complex" coming through.


6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home