Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Friday, March 04, 2005

Mission: Make Lamb Taste Like Liver


Once again, I have succeeded where Julia Child would have failed. Warping a recipe beyond recognition, in a way in which alchemists wish could be reproduced in chemistry, I managed to distort and extend a dinner with friends such that every last one of them spent the entire evening in the kitchen nursing my culinary disaster-to-be.

Because that's what friends are for. Comments upon eating the main course, Mongolian-style Lamb (with a garnish of chilli peppers and onion) and Chinese Stir-Fried Beans:

Friend 1 (-r2): (pause) The chilli pepper garnish is tasty!
Friend 2: (pause) The beans are good.
Friend 3: The lamb is interesting!
Friend 4: Can I have more soup?

How sad is it when one's garnish is more interesting than the main production? (rhetorical question)

I felt Bridget Jones' "Blue Soup" pain. Or joy. What are friends for, if not to laugh over my culinary lack of distinction. Or positive distinction. :)

Okay, friends are for sharing life, and making it a swell place to be at. :) And my friends, present or not that evening, do exactly that. I'm bluddy lucky, really.

SO. Thank you :)

6 Comments:

  • At 10:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh! I am quoted by name in your blog!

    I'd like to thank the Academy...

    Siriusly, the garnish was delicious (and amazignly well-diced), as was the soup (which was incredibly well-stirred). And the company was unbeatable. You haven't lived till you've spent the evening with four friends trying to figure out a complicated recipe.

    Best!

     
  • At 10:31 am, Blogger ~R said…

    -r2, How could I not quote you by name? You're the best!

    Thank you for loving the experience, which is what I think we're all calling that night. ;-)
    I loved the experience of your DELICIOUSLY cooked, speedy meal last week... And promise you less hassle this week. Ahem. Well. I promise you ... nothing, really. :) Just guilty smiles. Loads of those... :)

    And ~E, I will have you know that not one of my friends mentioned the word "shit," thus distinguishing it from Blue Soup episode! *gasps* Oh. Okay, cross that. One friend referred to shit. Zoikes! :)

    And what's this accidentally buying liver tale??? Was always too afraid to buy meat in the Motherland, myself... :)

     
  • At 6:11 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    Ps, the Academy would like to thank -r2 for dicing the garnish and stirring the soup!

    And Friend 4 for shelling and deveining the shrimp for the soup!

    I begin to sense a trend in what my Friends enjoyed, and what they had a part in creating... Hm... :)

     
  • At 10:25 am, Blogger Rob said…

    How did you make Mongolian-style lamb?

     
  • At 2:57 pm, Blogger World Traveler said…

    Dear Scooby,
    Isn't is "Zoinks?"

     
  • At 4:28 pm, Blogger ~R said…

    NO NO NO!!! It's ZOIKES.

    *weep*

    *WEEP*

    There are three-year-olds that speak English better than me. As a fourth language.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home