Wanderlust

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Monday, August 13, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name...


The word is "gaacharet."

It's what you tell a minibus driver when you want the vehicle to stop. You can pretty much get out wherever you want along the route, which is a blessing. All you have to do is say "gaacharet."

You can add "tu sheidzleba," too. That means please.

And if you want to get sophisticated, which I decided to go for, you can also say: "Gamicheret, tu sheidzleba." That means "Stop (for me), please."

Yeah. Now the thing is, the whole plan might fall apart if you make a small change, and, say, mistakenly say: "Gamacharet, tu sheidzleba." This small mistaken "a" in the place of an "i," you see, would result in your saying:

"Stop me, please."

Or as I said: "Stop me here, please. Stop me."

:)

But a misplaced consonant can do wonders to your conversation too.

Like when you put together the following sentence the first time you meet your host family and they serve melon and watermelon to you. (And, BLESS THEM, iced coffee too.)

Maybe you're bored of simply saying "This is tasty." Mayhap, like me, you go for something more detailed. Maybe it was "This melon is juicy!"

Which, as we all know, would read as "Es nesvi tsvniania." Soften your "s" as I did into a "z," and you'll have said, as I did:

"This sow is juicy!"

NOT my intention.

:)

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home